Monday, November 28, 2011

How to Paint Laminate Furniture


note the rope handles that Matt made to add rustic-flair at a tiny cost
i love it!

After browsing extensively on Pinterest.com I was inspired to paint some really ugly, cheap furniture we had around the apartment, and I am SO glad I did!

~~~~~~~
Step 1: Sand the entire surface with a very fine grain sand paper (I used 250 grit)
Sand until you see white flecks and the shine of laminate begins to fade.
** Note, oil based primers usually don't require pre-sanding, but they are messier to clean up.

Step 2: Wipe the surface clean with a tack cloth.

Step 3: Coat the surface with primer. You may have to do two coats. Here's the hard part: you have to wait one full week for water based primers to cure. As I said oil-based primers cure in 45 minutes, but as I live in an apartment with no extra sink or easy way to clean with mineral spirits, I chose water based paints.

Step 4: Paint!! I did two coats about 45 minutes apart. Voila!


Before...

during...

After


Before...

During


After

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, you did a great job. I so like the job you did and to see the candle holder we got that match looks so nice. Miss you and must try to get out to see your great place. Blessings Dj